Monday, June 20, 2011

My New Embarrassment

I jokingly said about a month ago that I might have a new most embarrassing story depending on how bad I was hurt. Today I had to recount this story to a medical professional, so I might as well fess up to all of you.
Our town has a new park. Just walking around this massive place I started questioning our tax rates, meaning it had to have set the county back a good bit. The kids wanted to try out the fantastic playground equipment, and never being one to let the kids have all the fun, I joined in. Everything was going great. I went down a slide, I climbed the rock wall, and then I decided not to push my luck and spent the rest of the time in the swings. I love to swing. I always have. One of my favorite things is to get as high as possible and them jump out, soaring gracefully across the playground to stick a 10.0 landing. That is not what happened. This time, as I flew through the air I remembered three things. 1. I am now well into my 30's 2. I have on flip flops 3. wood chips are a lot more slippery than dirt. There was a little scrape on one knee, bruised hands, but no tears. My foot didn't even really hurt much until 2 days later. By that time I was packing up for the New York trip and nothing was stopping that. I walked around New York for four days. By the end of each day my foot felt like someone was using a nail gun to shoot nails into my foot with every step. This was probably not the smartest thing to do. I was certainly abusing my foot, but I told myself that I'd rest it when I got home.
When I did get home I had a post trip cold which gave me no choice but to rest. Combine that with JD's random case of scarlet fever, and I had two weeks of hardly setting foot out of the house. Unfortunately, when I did get up to speed and started walking, the pain came back. I broke down today and saw the doctor.
When the doctor entered the room he asked, "What did you do?" I replied, "Something stupid." Apparently it was a running theme with women today because he had already treated 2 sprained ankles and a broken tail bone. This made me feel a little better. My x-ray didn't show any major breaks, but because of the time and other symptoms, he thinks I have a stress fracture. He has given me 10 days to try anti-inflammatory drugs, but after that, if I still hurt, I get a bone scan with a boot, or a trip to a foot doctor depending on the results.
If I get a boot, this will officially beat the time I accidentally tried to carjack a stranger at Walmart. Also, I need to ready a story for the people who will ask me what I did to my foot. I'm leaning towards "ninja training camp" or maybe something circus related.

No comments: