Friday, May 20, 2011

The Moral of the Story

I just got back from JD's awards day. It was very entertaining. JD won an award for being the most honest student and for telling the truth even when it will get him in trouble. Then there were awards named after candy and he received the "Payday" award, which is the candy way of saying, "most likely to succeed", and a kid choice award for sportsmanship, which the children were told, means the kid you most want on your team and is an all around nice kid. I don't always put much stock in end of the year, everyone gets something awards. In fact, I believe I may have called it a celebration of mediocrity at some point. I'm finding myself a little teary eyed over this one though. All 3 of these speak to my son's character. I once read that we formed the bulk of our character traits by a very young age. I think it was age 8, but don't quote me. Aside from a few people who have serious life altering events in their life, people are primarily the same kind of person they were in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I am now praying to God that this line of thought holds true for my son. At age 7 his teachers and peers have already declared him to be a good man and that thrills me beyond words.
Along with the awards the children put on 3 mini plays with each having a moral. I was pleased that the moral of the first story, "The Little Red Hen" was if you don't put in the work you can't reap the rewards. This is an idea that we need to teach a little more faithfully. JD's play of "The Turnip" taught that you can do more with teamwork than you can alone. JD thought it should have been that you can accomplish more with teamwork than you can alone. I adore his vocabulary.

No comments: