Monday, September 12, 2011

Feeling Poetic

It doesn't happen often, but from time to time I feel the urge to write somewhat cheesy poetry. Nothing calls for a poem that painfully rhymes like the birth of a baby, and I have just been gifted with my very first nephew. The poem may be silly, but it is also kind of sweet. I really wish I could draw so I could turn it into a board book. You can write just about anything in board book form and as long as it rhymes and the drawings are cute, it is brilliant. Any way, here is my poem written in honor of the birth of my nephew born 9-10-11 in Beijing, China.

When you were born it was both day and night,
With us in the darkness and you in the light.
We waited for days, expecting you here,
But you could not be rushed, you just wouldn’t appear.
So, we paced and we prayed, and even lost sleep,
Waiting and watching for you to make that first little peep.
Into this world you came with a scream.
It was far better than any of us would dare dream.
Though miles of ocean and even more land
Kept us apart, my love was instantly grand.
I could not wait until my arms would hold,
This tiny person, who was more precious than gold.
That day was, without question, certainly faithful.
You made me an aunt, and I am eternally grateful.  

1 comment:

gram said...

Great expression of what we've all been waiting for for so long. Thank you for taking the time to journal these feelings in a form we can all enjoy. You'll make an awesome aunt!