Wednesday, January 05, 2022

How a pineapple changed my view

I love a good analogy. It is so much more fun to learn from examples than by doing things on your own and learning the hard way. With that in mind, I have a story to share.

I have a friend who had the cutest pineapple decor for her front porch. Very fun, summer, decor. She moved to a new state, and carried her pineapples with her. After she had been in her new home for a little while, one of her new neighbors told her something rather unexpected. In this area, pineapple welcome mats were code for couples who are looking for other couples who like to, um...., "make a temporary partner swap" as a "lifestyle". I hope you follow me because I'm not going to explain beyond that. Let's just say it was something my friend was most certainly NOT involved with. She was horrified and changed out her decor. It then became a funny store of that time she had to take the "swing" off her doorstep.
She did not give the neighborhood facebook page a lecture on the history of pineapples. She didn't buy more pineapples. She didn't dismiss it as one person's opinion. She didn't want to risk anyone knocking on her door thinking that her and her husband were up to something. She wanted no association with it at all. 
I like pineapples. I like their color. I am a fan of delicious flavor. I enjoy the show Psych and their regular bit about pineapples amuses me. However, if someone told me that pineapples were associated with puppy drowning, I would never display another pineapple again. It would be an instant change.

It is important to know your lines, why they are there, and if you can really justify not changing. 
I won't be apologizing for holding onto my faith or my family, but everything else can be negotiated because times change, symbols change, and people corrupt innocent things all the time. 

Has the symbol you hold onto been corrupted? Is it time to drop it and realize it isn't a battle that benefits anyone? 

No comments: