Friday, May 01, 2009

Too Rich or Too Thin

We have all heard it, and we have all probably even said it. You can never be too rich or too thin. It's not true, at least not anymore. Oddly enough the reason why goes with another famous saying. The only certainties in life are death and taxes. If you are too thin you could die and if you are too rich you get taxed right out of it.
It has been on my mind a lot this week. It started on Sunday with a lesson on Proverbs 30 where a man is actually praying not to be too rich because he fears it would lead to him turning away from God. It is certainly not a common prayer I'd bet.
Then there was a news story about a beauty pageant contestant in Australia that everyone is saying is too thin. "Her bones are showing", they gasp in horror. She maintains that she has never had an eating disorder, that she is full of energy, and that this is just normal for her. Still everyone scoffs, everyone but me that is. She is 19 years old, 5' 11", and 117 pounds. I ran the numbers and when I was her age, my height to weight ratio was actually lower than hers. To be perfectly honest, it still is. I have never had dilutions about my body. I know I'm thin, I know I have been too thin, but I also know that I am not too thin now. Too thin was the day at the height of my digestive problems when I stepped on the scale and it said 89. I cried that day- a lot. I was not healthy that day. Today, I am happy to say that I am at a healthy weight for me, and that is all any of us should ask for.
I think I have mentioned it before and I know it isn't popular, but think before you criticize someones weight, even us skinny folks. I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life. Just because I'm not trying to lose weight doesn't make my struggle any less real or my feelings any less fragile.

No comments: