Sunday, February 23, 2014

Advice sort of not taken

I signed up to let Jon Acuff bug me every day for a month about my dream. I’d like to say that I took every word to heart, followed his plan to the letter, and attain my goal, but that’s not how I work. I read every email, nodded in agreement, and then thought of at least 10 things I could do other than work on my goal. My mother says I have a special talent for “creative avoidance”.
My goal was not grand. I simply wanted to write more. If I could turn out one blog post a week, it would be a start. Instead, I took up new craft projects. I tried new recipes. I caught up on health checkups. I did not attack my goal. Then a funny thing happened. I checked my blog and I had accidentally written 5 posts before the end of the month instead of 4. (if you count this one, 6)
I was so confused by this that I had to sit down and figure out how it had happened. I determined that either Jon has magical powers that are sent via email, or the key problem in my not writing was not living my life in a way that gave me something to write about. 

It turns out that I needed to get out of my own head, stop focusing on what I wasn't doing, and try new things.  I don’t think I would have gotten there on my own. It took having something to creatively avoid. I should never underestimate my ability to do things backwards. 

No comments: