Saturday, February 08, 2014

Scarred for Life

When I was about 4, I was playing around in my parents bathroom. This didn't happen often because their shower was where monsters and/or serial killers likes to hide. It was during the daylight hours at the time, so I was able to relax. While in there, I decided it would be a great idea to use my mom's Chapstick. I really went to town with it. I know this because what I had actually grabbed was lipstick, and my face looked like a murderous clown. In my youth I did not stop to think that I might have mistakenly used lipstick. I thought, red = blood, blood = hurt, hurt = pain. I am clearly about to die. To this day the smell of lipstick turns my stomach. It was a traumatizing moment in my life. My mother thought it was a funny little kid moment. I think she might have even made a picture. It wasn't until I was of age to start wearing lipstick and couldn't bring myself to use it, that the impact of the moment really came to light.
I tell this story to put context to my next line of thinking. Do you ever wonder what harmless random event of life will turn out to have traumatized your child? 

No comments: